If you are not a qualified fitness professional then you can do our FABS Training Programme which gives you all the knowledge, practical skills and support you need to become an Exercise Instructor for Older Adults.
The FABS Training Programme has been developed in partnership with the Centre for Healthy Ageing Research at University of Birmingham and combines Flexibility, Aerobics, Balance and Strength which can be taught both seated and standing giving you a wider scope of practice.
The blended learning includes approximately 32 guided learning hours through eLearning with step-by-step video tutorials and downloadable training manuals, followed by 2 days of face-to-face practical training.
FABS will enable you to:
- Teach seated, supported and standing exercise for older adults
- Understand anatomy and physiology and the major changes associated with ageing and inactivity and the impact of these changes on quality of life and wellbeing
- Understand how to support and motivate the older adult to adhere to physical activity
- Understand guidelines and training principles in relation to the older adult
- Be able to devise and deliver safe and effective exercise sessions for older adults
- Be able to observe and correct clients
- Be able to link exercises and put them to music using simple choreography to create fun-filled routines
- Be able to devise and deliver fun activities for coordination, skill, cognitive vitality and to encourage social interaction
- Be able to modify and adapt exercises to suit individuals
- Be able to evaluate exercise sessions for older adults including progressive training
All eLearning must be completed before attending the two-day practical training where your teaching skills will be observed and assessed. This is done in small groups of up to 12 people and delivered by highly trained and supportive master trainers with a wealth of hands-on experience.
Although you do not need to have any specific qualifications to access the full FABS Training Programme, you do need to be physically able to learn and demonstrate all the exercises safely. Please contact us before booking If you require any reasonable adjustments to help with eLearning or practical delivery.
The eLearning is assessed through quiz-style questions on each unit. Learners watch video tutorials showing how to do each exercise seated and standing, how to progress and regress the exercises and relate them to activities of daily living.
Practical delivery is then assessed during the 2 practical days (which is delivered either face-to-face or on Zoom). Learners are expected to know all 70 of the exercises in the FABS programme and are asked to deliver a taster session including 10 exercises that have been allocated in advance. They are then assessed on their delivery to show they are technically proficient, safe and competent.
Learners can download and print a pdf version of the Practical Training & Theory Training manual during the course. However, if you don’t have access to a printer, or would like a professionally printed copy, they’re available to purchase for an additional £24.99 each.
Attending your practical training days
Online practical training days:
Please read the requirements for completing your practical days online here. By booking online practical training dates, you’re accepting you will meet the requirements outlined.
Venues for face-to-face practical days:
Online – Saturday 27th & Sunday 28th January 2024
Online – Saturday 2nd & Sunday 3rd March 2024
Birmingham Priory Rooms – Friday 8th & Saturday 9th March 2024
Online – Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st April 2024
Milton Keynes – Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th May 2024
Birmingham – Friday 7th & Saturday 8th June 2024
Online – Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th July 2024
Essex – Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st July 2024
Online – Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th September 2024
Birmingham – Friday 4th & Saturday 5th October 2024
Leeds – Friday 11th & Saturday 12th October 2024
Online – Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th November 2024
We’ve now partnered with Klarna enabling you to book your FABS Training course and pay over 3 interest-free instalments!
See our FABS FAQs
Please note, you will be asked to agree to our FABS Terms & Conditions before purchasing. Transferring practical days is subject to a fee of £220, please see the Terms & Conditions for details of our cancellation and transfer policy.