If you are not a qualified fitness professional then you can do our FABS Training Programme which gives you all the knowledge, practical skills and support you need to become an Exercise Instructor for Older Adults.
The FABS Training Programme has been developed in partnership with the Centre for Healthy Ageing Research at University of Birmingham and combines Flexibility, Aerobics, Balance and Strength which can be taught both seated and standing giving you a wider scope or practice.
The blended learning includes approximately 32 guided learning hours through eLearning with step-by-step video tutorials and downloadable training manuals, followed by 2 days of face-to-face practical training.
FABS will enable you to:
- Teach seated, supported and standing exercise for older adults
- Understand anatomy and physiology and the major changes associated with ageing and inactivity and the impact of these changes on quality of life and wellbeing
- Understand how to support and motivate the older adult to adhere to physical activity
- Understand guidelines and training principles in relation to the older adult
- Be able to devise and deliver safe and effective exercise sessions for older adults
- Be able to observe and correct clients
- Be able to link exercises and put them to music using simple choreography to create fun-filled routines
- Be able to devise and deliver fun activities for coordination, skill, cognitive vitality and to encourage social interaction
- Be able to modify and adapt exercises to suit individuals
- Be able to evaluate exercise sessions for older adults including progressive training
All eLearning must be completed before attending the two day practical training where your teaching skills will be observed and assessed. This is done in small groups of up to 12 people and delivered by highly trained and supportive master trainers with a wealth of hands-on experience.
Although you do not need to have any specific qualifications to access the full FABS Training Programme, you do need to be physically able to learn and demonstrate all the exercises safely. Please contact us before booking If you require any reasonable adjustments to help with eLearning or practical delivery.
The eLearning is assessed through quiz style questions on each unit. Learners watch video tutorials showing how to do each exercise seated and standing, how to progress and regress the exercises and relate them to activities of daily living.
Practical delivery is then assessed during the 2 practical days (which is delivered either face-to-face or on Zoom). Learners are expected to know all 70 of the exercises in the FABS programme and are asked to deliver a taster session including 10 exercises that have been allocated in advance. They are then assessed on their delivery to show they are technically proficient, safe and competent.
Learners can download and print a pdf version of the Practical Training manual during the course. However, if you don’t have access to a printer, or would like a professionally printed copy, it’s available for an additional £24.99.
Attending your practical training days
To find out more about completing your practical days online – please click here.
Alternatively, please click on the links below for more information on venues for face-to-face practical days:
**Please be aware that all face-to-face practical days are subject to government guidelines on social distancing**
Online – 13th & 14th August 2022
Essex – 20th & 21st August 2022
Birmingham – 3rd & 4th September 2022
Online – 10th & 11th September 2022
Exeter – 10th & 11th September 2022
Online – 8th & 9th October 2022
Essex – 29th & 30th October 2022
Birmingham – 5th & 6th November 2022
Online – 19th & 20th November 2022
Milton Keynes – 3rd & 4th December 2022
We’ve now partnered with Klarna enabling you to book your FABS Training course and pay over 3 interest-free instalments!
See our FABS FAQs
Please note, you will be asked to agree to our FABS Terms & Conditions before purchasing. Transferring practical days is subject to a fee of £220, please see the Terms & Conditions for details of our cancellation and transfer policy.