Is Move it or Lose it! suitable for me?
Can I really benefit from exercising sitting down ?
Yes! You will be surprised at just how much you can do sitting down and research has shown that chair based exercises are a safe and effective way to keep moving. After following the routine on a regular basis many people find they can return to weight bearing exercise again and do the things they enjoy such as gardening, walking, dancing or shopping! We have a range of exercise DVDs which include chair-based and standing exercises so you can choose which is most suitable.
What sort of exercises are included?
Move it or Lose it! includes movements that most exercise DVDs avoid. We work:
- our fingers and hands to help with dexterity and grip strength
- our feet and ankles to improve gait and walking ability
- our arms and shoulders to maintain flexibility for everyday activities like dressing and strength for lifting and carrying
- our legs and hips to help with walking and getting up and down stairs
- our heart and lungs by increasing the pace a little to improve circulation
- our ‘independence muscles’ (quadriceps) to help us get up out of a chair or on and off the loo
- our pelvic floor muscles to aid continence and confidence
- and we do some strength training through resistance to help prevent our muscles from wasting
- plus stretching exercises to keep flexible
- finishing with a cool down to beautiful rejuvenating music
How can the Move it or Lose it! exercise DVDs help me?
The benefits of exercise are amazing and can help with:
- lifting our mood, raising confidence and self esteem
- improving muscle strength
- working the heart and lungs to improve fitness and stamina
- increased joint mobility and flexibility
- improving coordination
- improving circulation
- working towards better balance
- improving sleep and immunity
- our ability to do everyday activities and maintain independence
The DVDs can help you to exercise regularly because you can do them at home and at your convenience. Even 20 minutes of activity per day can help improve your health and wellbeing then as you improve and progress you may feel able to do more.
Can I do these exercises if I have arthritis or osteoporosis?
Whether you have osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, early or late stage osteoporosis, you need to check with your doctor before embarking upon any exercise programme. Everyone is different so take advice first. However, almost everyone needs to keep moving whatever their condition, just remember to only do what you feel capable of and if any activity causes you acute pain then stop. If you have rheumatoid arthritis you will know not to exercise when you have a flare up and your joints are hot and inflamed – wait until this subsides before exercising again.
What if I have other medical conditions?
Move it or Lose it! has been tried and tested with thousands of people aged from 50 to 99, with all sorts of conditions including heart disease, diabetes, COPD, Parkinson’s, Multiple Sclerosis, arthritis, intermittent claudication, lymphoedema, osteoporosis, fibromyalgia and cancer. However, you do need to check with your GP or nurse first and see if they are happy for you to do seated exercise to music and of course, you are in control so only do what you are capable of. Remember to start off gently, build up slowly and always do the warm up and cool down.
What is an exercise band and how do I get one?
This is like a large rubber band and can be used to offer resistance during exercising. In order to build strength we usually use weights or do weight bearing exercises to load the muscles and joints. The exercise band has a similar effect but can be used sitting down making it an ideal way to get stronger without having to go to a gym or pump iron! If you don’t already own a resistance band you can purchase one that is suitable for your strength, go to our buy now page for more infomation: http://www.moveitorloseit.co.uk/shop/equipment/exercise-band/
Can I pay by cheque?
Yes, check how much your order costs first (including P&P), make it payable to Move it or Lose it! Limited and send to:
Move it or Lose it!
PO Box 45, Uttoxeter, Staffs, ST14 7GZ
If you have any other questions please email email@example.com or call 0800 612 0450